Sunday, January 17, 2016

Theme Of The Day


Today woke up to snow. A fluffy pretty snow hanging on the branches but not freezing on the roads. After a couple of cups of coffee I listen to This American Life. It wasn’t their best show but I enjoyed the shows title: “Something Only I Can See”.
I thought about that title for I have written about hearing voices that may not be there and hearing a song after your turn off the radio. I might also see things only I can see? It is called the ‘artistic eye’.
Some folks take the time to observe and others are too busy with their daily lives to miss it. Luckily there are photographers and artist and dancers and writers and musicians who can see it and tell the rest of us about it.
When school budgets get tight, the arts are the first in line to be cut. What would we do without our art? Would we have hit tunes? Would we have museums? Would there be any concerts? Would there be any dances? Would there be any movies? Who would design new fashions? Who would write the books? Who would learn the classics and make new ones?
I personally believe everyone has the ‘creative eye’ or the ‘creative ear’ or the ‘creative thought’ if just take the time to use it.
So what was my theme for the day?
As I watched the snowfall trying to decide if I wanted to venture out in it, I got my theme for the day.
You have to take chances are there is no excitement to life. I strapped on my jeans and walked out into the falling flakes. It is not as cold as I thought but the streets are wet. I took my ride slowly avoiding snow traffic and enjoying the scenery. The same bad traffic was in the store but the game didn’t start for hours and I just coasted. The rest of the day was pretty routine for a winter afternoon as I settled into the norm.
So what was the theme of the day?
The theme was to take the chance. Go into the unknown with eyes open accepting whatever you find. If we bypass these chances we lose the opportunity for an adventure and perhaps a memory.
These memories may turn into a sheet of music or a book or a dance or a painting or just a legacy. For art is a legacy of a time when the ‘creative eye’ was being used.

No comments:

Post a Comment